Shanti Ashram has partnered with Arigatou International – End Child Poverty to build a better world for children in the region and across India. Shanti Ashram’s mission is to serve as a catalyst to empower different sections of rural communities and the society at large. Demonstrating it’s mission, Shanti Ashram has successfully established impactful and simple solutions to end child poverty.
Shanti Ashram is happy to share that in the Sixth phase of India Poverty Solutions, it has travelled to different parts of India and reached over 46,714 children across 58 institutions and youth from 5 different faith traditions. The total savings by the children during the period was Rs.1.90 lakhs, of which the children will contribute Rs.1.79 lakh to the practical projects implemented through Poverty Solutions.
Children-led ‘reversing child poverty action-plan 2018’: Shanti Ashram has decided to retain and implement 5 result-oriented solutions from the previous year and also add 1 more innovative solution this year. This honoring and providing scholarships for 40 high school academic achievers (SSLC toppers) from Government and Government-Aided schools is a part of the reversing child poverty action-plan focusing on the Right to Education.
Our shared goal is to:
- Unite the children and youth of India to work together and impact Child Poverty.
- Highlight to the society that everyone has something to contribute to make our city a better place; be it time, spirit, talent or money.
- Facilitate transformational leadership skills among children and young people. Inspired by the Gandhian model, it is built on the premise that inner awakening, once accomplished will be able to sustain itself and lead to transformation in society particularly for those children affected by poverty. For many years, we hope these seeds of Sarvodaya will flower as the ideas are innovative and cost effective, relevant to the society and its returns are truly life changing.
You will be happy to know that in the Sixth phase we have travelled to different parts of India and reached to exactly 46,714 children across 58 institutions and youth from 5 different faith traditions. The total savings by the children during the period was Rs.1.90 lakhs, of which the children will contribute Rs.1.79 lakh to the practical projects implemented through Poverty Solutions.
Children-led ‘Reversing Child Poverty Action-Plan’:
As a part of our children led initiative, we have decided, in Coimbatore, to retain and implement the 5 result-oriented solutions from the previous year and also add 1 more innovative solution:
- Right to Education – Scholarship to be provided to the School toppers in SSLC from 40 Government & Government aided schools
- Right to Health – General health checkup for 300 adolescent girls including Anaemia screening program and iron supplementation for 100 children in government schools
- Right to Participation – Providing scholarships for high achievers from government schools to Learning hub: A shared space for children to discover, explore and learn with technologies
- Right to Protection – The vaccines considered include the MMR, typhoid vaccines along with Vitamin A & supplementation for 100 children
- Right to Food – Expanding the children-led food bank and bringing nutritional literacy to 10,000 children
- Right to Development – Setting up of child-friendly infrastructure in a rural school
“Poverty is the worst form of violence.” – Mahatma Gandhi