GNRC Third Forum
24-26 May, 2008, Hiroshima
Recommendations from Thematic Group Sessions on
"The Ethical Imperative to Ensure that No Child Lives in Poverty"
* Drawing on religious teachings and heritage to address poverty
* Putting children first in human development
Recommendations Adopted by Entire Group
1. Sharing not only at international level but also at grass root level. Initiate local and regional meetings on poverty, violence and environment in order to promote local action. Local religious leaders must be encouraged to engage themselves in these discussions. Collaboration with others stake holders such as companies, NGOs and UN agencies that have programmes already in place to support basic needs of children
2. Since corruption on all levels is one of the causes of poverty
ii. Addressing law enforcement
iii. Raising the awareness of politicians
3. Advocate family values through parental education including ethics , health and environment etc
4. All components of poverty should be addressed at childhood through quality education and health services so poverty is not perpetuated through adulthood.
5. Creation of peace clubs and GNRC youth cells and /or collaboration with other organizations that are doing promoting human rights and interfaith dialogue for children. That UNICEF and GNRC collaborate together to train and introduce the GNRC toolkit
6. The awareness of the human family should be raised in schools, in rich countries and in all sectors of society and forming networks of youth which created spaces for interreligious participation to raise the awareness of poverty, referring to formal and non formal education
7. Economics and ethics should be integrated, since production does not always produce equality and development does not always alleviate poverty. Therefore dialogue with the various sectors of society, interdisciplinary approaches e.g. to induce empathy among the rich so that they also take initiatives to find solutions.
8. Action oriented programs are needed so that poverty is not perpetuated. Programs should be implemented on ground level in order to have concrete results
9. Interaction between generations. Youth should be encouraged to interact with experienced community workers and leaders and in turn they should provide guidance for the youth.
10. In cultures and countries where children are unable to attend school on a daily basis materials of study should be developed that allow them to study under alternative methods of education.
11. International day of prayer and action for children by the world's religions (20th Nov)